On Saturday 17 February, WCHM hosted a Having a Baby in Canberra Expo at the National Library of Australia.
The exhibitors at the Expo included 19 local maternity services, including:
- All public and private hospitals in Canberra and Queanbeyan except Calvary Private in Bruce
- Pre-natal yoga
- Doulas and parenting preparation classes
- Private midwives
- Mental health and wellbeing services, including psychologists and PANDSI
- Services to help with sleep, including Queen Elizabeth II Family Centre
- Breastfeeding support services, including Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Support services for vulnerable new parents
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia, who have a program to support pregnant women quit smoking
The event was attended by over 100 pregnant women on the day, most in the first trimester of pregnancy where they would be making decisions about their maternity care.
Feedback is being collected to help inform planning for any similar future events we might host. Women on the day told us they appreciated having an opportunity to find out about different health services all in one place, and maternity service providers appreciated the opportunity to network with each other as well as answering questions from women.