The Women’s Centre for Health Matters Inc. (WCHM) is a community-based not for profit organisation which works in the ACT and surrounding region to improve women’s health and wellbeing.
WCHM’s objectives, as stated in the WCHM Constitution, are to improve the health and wellbeing of women in the ACT and surrounding regions, particularly those vulnerable to disadvantage. Our work is guided by the social determinants of health framework; this means that we believe that each woman’s environment and life circumstances will affect her health and wellbeing outcomes. We do this by using social research, advocacy, community development, capacity building, working across sectors and health promotion.
In our work we aim to:
- Be informed by, and encourage the validation of, women’s experiences of health and ill-health
- Provide women with access to reliable and broad ranging health related information which allows informed choices to be made about each woman’s own health and wellbeing
- Identify the unmet health and wellbeing needs of women
- Foster the optimum provision of women’s health care by encouraging cooperation and co-ordination among existing services
- Advocate for change in health related services to ensure responsiveness to women’s needs
- Identify and respond to the health issues of the women of the ACT and surrounding regions and to inform the public, health service providers, policy makers and funders about these issues
- Assist in improving women’s health and wellbeing through participation, collaboration and partnerships with women, the community, women’s services and other organisations
- Prevent illness, disease and injury and promote independence, health and wellbeing using a variety of interventions